Monday, February 29, 2016

792. Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
1988
Directed by Robert Zemeckis







This a film that you have to appreciate, even if you didn't enjoy it.  It's a technological masterpiece and still holds up today, which I really wasn't expecting.  People might be turned off because it seems like a kids movie, but it is still worth a watch.  At the very least, you will walk away with confused sexual feelings for Jessica Rabbit.

In this film's universe, cartoon characters are real and live in the animated toon district of Hollywood.  Let's not pull any threads here and just not ask anymore questions (so the animators are basically gods?). Private detective Eddie Valiant has a deep seated hate for cartoon characters, as one killed his brother.  Eddie reluctantly gets pulled into a case involving Roger Rabbit, his ridiculously voluptuous wife, and the sinister Judge Doom.

I was hesitant going into this one, as I thought the filmmakers would be so impressed with themselves for meshing live action and animation that there wouldn't be much substance besides cool effects.  This actually managed to be really entertaining, with many in jokes about the industry and film noir.  I just read a fan theory online that this movie is an allegory for racial segregation, which does make a lot of sense.

Finally, I don't want to scare anyone but I discovered there is a ton of Who Framed Roger Rabbit fan fiction.  I don't think I can ever forget what I found there. Please save yourselves.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Most expensive film produced in the 1980s.

Bob Hoskins studied how his three old daughter played with her imaginary friends in order to get the feel of acting with cartoon characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment