Saturday, February 13, 2016

728. Tong Nien Wang Shi

Tong Nien Wang Shi,
A Time To Live, A Time To Die
1985
Directed by Hou Hsiao-Hsien







I am so excited to be done with this film that I feel like jumping for joy.  Since I am still not allowed to put weight on my leg, I will content myself with stuffing in a handful skittles, which is clearly the much healthier option.

This coming of age story follows a young boy named Ah-hsiao, who lives a rather idyllic life until the death of his father forces him to grow up.  He gets involved in a bad crowd and must decide if he should follow the path laid out to him by his family or the path he chooses for himself.

Nothing really happens in this film, at least, nothing that could justify its 138 minute run time.  I was tremendously bored throughout the movie.  The most interesting thing that happened was when one of Ah-hsiao's family members walks on his hands for a couple minutes.  I also thought the score was strange in this film.  At one point the music sounded so out of place that I thought I had another window open on my laptop and the audio was coming from a different source.

It is interesting to have Taiwan represented on the List and if this is the best of the group, I suppose it is a necessary inclusion.  Still, way too dull to recommend in good conscience.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Partly autobiographical.

No comments:

Post a Comment