Wednesday, February 17, 2016

746. Down by Law

Down by Law
1986
Directed by Jim Jarmusch









I find all of Jarmusch's films to be exhausting. I just get the impression the guy has absolutely no sense of humor, which made his previous comedy almost unbearable.  This is a drama, but that doesn't make it any less painful.  Let's just get through this as quickly as possible.

Three men are arrested and held in a New Orleans jail cell.  Jack and Zack are both arrested for crimes they didn't commit (although they are both such assholes I am sure they are guilty of something).  The other cellmate is Bob, an Italian who speaks very little English.  They decide to escape (despite the fact that they all seem to hate each other) and go on the run through the bayou.

That sounds like a rather interesting film based on the summary, but I can assure you it is not.  A movie with this set up has to have astounding dialogue to keep the audience's interest.  I found the dialogue to be quite stale and dull.  Oh, the Italian can only speak limited English so all his lines are simple. But in their simplicity lies truth that the most complicated phrases can't convey.  Excuse me while I go vomit.

Wow, I am harsh today.  It wasn't the worst thing I have ever seen and I think it is even an improvement from Stranger than Fiction.  Still wish I could have skipped it though.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Nicoletta Braschi was Roberto Benigni's wife in real life.

Roberto Benigni had never been to America prior to appearing in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment