Tuesday, February 16, 2016

739. Blue Velvet

Blue Velvet
1986
Directed by David Lynch









I read Roger Ebert's review of this film and it so perfectly captures everything I want to say about this movie that I almost want to link it here and just call it a day.  I'll do the mature thing though and just paraphrase everything he says.  Okay, maybe not everything.

Jeffrey Beaumont returns to his hometown.  While taking one of his shortcuts, he stumbles across a severed human ear.  Jeffrey can't resist snooping around even after reporting the ear to the police.  He discovers from the detective's daughter that Dorothy Vallens, a sexy nightclub singer, is connected to the case somehow.  Jeffrey breaks into Dorothy's apartment, gets a blow job for some reason, and witnesses the psychotic Frank Booth raping and doing other disgusting things to Dorothy.  Ugh do I have to go on?

In Roger Ebert's review he asks the audience, "What's worse?  Slapping somebody around, or standing back and finding the whole thing funny?"  Apparently David Lynch found the whole thing rather amusing and I am not just talking about the joke-y small town bits.  According to Rossellini, Lynch couldn't stop laughing during the rape scene.  What the hell?

Obviously this isn't enjoyable to sit through, as you basically have to watch an unstable woman emotionally, sexually, and physically tortured.  I guess you are supposed to get something out of it besides enjoyment.  But the whole small town, dark secrets theme was so overdone that I couldn't wait for it to be over, even during the non traumatizing parts.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Dennis Hopper says the word "fuck" in almost every sentence.

Dennis Hopper reportedly said "I have to play Frank because I am Frank."  I think that should be enough to warrant an investigation.


No comments:

Post a Comment