Thursday, February 11, 2016

717. A Passage to India

A Passage to India
1984
Directed by David Lean













As we all know, Forster's novels always get straight to the point.  Combined that with Lean's succinctness as a director and you are sure to get an action packed movie.  Honestly, I was surprised this wasn't longer, although three hours is quite long enough.

In the 1920s, Mrs. Moore and her soon to be daughter-in-law Adela travel from England to India.  Once there, they befriend the school superintendent and Dr. Aziz Ahmed, who is initially pleased with the Englishwomen's unprejudiced attitudes.  Of course, that harmony doesn't last long.

I guess the most frustrating aspect of this movie is the character Adela and what drives her actions.  I won't give away anything, but her behavior is incredibly confusing.  I had the strong desire to punch the screen, much like when I saw Atonement for the first time.  I have never read A Passage to India, but I think I would enjoy the book a lot more than I enjoyed the film.  It seems like there would be more room to explore the characters and maybe understand them a little better.  Instead, I was lulled into boredom during the first hour and then completely confused for the rest of the film.  Which is obviously the filmmakers' fault, not mine.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

David Lean was hated by most of the cast and crew.  Alec Guinness never spoke to Lean again.

No comments:

Post a Comment