Monday, February 15, 2016

737. Manhunter

Manhunter
1986
Directed by Michael Mann









This is the first film to feature Hannibal Lecter, who is one of the most iconic villains in movie history.  I only ever saw him before in The Silence of the Lambs, which was a lot better than this.  I suppose that is an unfair comparison.  But I can't help it!  It just didn't feel right without Anthony Hopkins.

Will Graham is a retired FBI criminal profiler who suffered a mental breakdown after the capture of Hannibal.  He is pulled out of retirement by his old boss when a new serial killer (dubbed the Tooth Fairy because of the bite marks he leaves on victims) comes on the scene.  Graham visits Hannibal in prison to try to get in the mindset of the murderer.  Personally, I would have assumed it was a vampire and deferred to Buffy, not Hannibal.  Perhaps I belong in the institution.

Like I said, this is an earlier film and it is unfair to compare it to The Silence of The Lambs, as the latter probably was greatly influenced by it.  Still, it is almost impossible not to at this point.  I thought Will was a dull character (even his name is boring) and missed Jodie Foster's performance.  Watching Brian Cox play Hannibal just doesn't work for me anymore.

If I had seen this in 1986 I probably would have given it a more favorable review on my twelve pound computer.  Unfortunately, with hindsight, I could have skipped it.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Only Hannibal film where the character's last name is spelled "Lecktor."

No comments:

Post a Comment