Thursday, February 11, 2016

718. Stranger Than Paradise

Stranger Than Paradise
1984
Directed by Jim Jarmusch








We have had fantastic comedies lately but now we are back on the train to Pretentiousville.  Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Willie, a young, sleazy guy, is forced to host his cousin Eva from Hungary after their aunt has to stay in the hospital.  Willie gradually warms to Eva and is distraught when she has to return home.  Willie and his friend Eddie go on to win big money by cheating at poker.  Writing this summary, I am kind of waiting for the point at the movie that I consider "spoiler territory" but I am not sure where that is.  Nothing really happens in this film, so I can't imagine anyone getting annoyed if I give anything away.

That summary almost conveys how dull this movie is.  Even the directing is dull.  There is no variation in the camerawork, which I can think be successful if the dialogue or visuals are compelling enough.  Unfortunately,  all the characters are rather unpleasant.  Of course, horrible characters can be interesting to watch, but I couldn't understand why we were supposed to care about three selfish losers.  I guess I will have to eat my words when we get to Clerks.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Each scene of the film consists of a single shot and then a few seconds of black screen.

Shot with live sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment