Wednesday, February 24, 2016

774. A Chinese Ghost Story

A Chinese Ghost Story
1987
Directed by Ching Siu-tung








I am a little mixed up in my feelings for this film, so I apologize if this review comes across as messy.  Ultimately, the movie wasn't what I wanted it to be, but maybe that's not a bad thing.

Ning Choi-san takes shelter in a deserted forest temple (it sounds like a Zelda game; watch out for giant spiders!).  He meets and falls in love with the beautiful Nip Siu-sin, but realizes that she is merely a ghost.  Her remains are buried at the foot of the tree, thereby enslaving her to the Tree Demoness for eternity. Ning wants to save her, but really lacks any sort of skill to do so.

I was hoping this would be a horror film, but it actually ended up being a fairy tale.  At times it played out like a Greek tragedy, with Ning being our Orpheus.  I suppose I was mildly disappointed by the pace of the film, as it moved rather slowly.  Still, it turned out to be a pretty beautiful film and I have no valid criticisms for it.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Remade in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment