Wednesday, February 3, 2016

700. L'Argent

L'Argent
Money
1983
Directed by Robert Bresson









700 films down, 301 to go! It usually takes me around two years to finish 300 movies.  That's a rather discouraging statistic, but I have been hitting the Book rather hard lately.  In all likelihood I will still be an old maid by the time I finish.

A young, unibrowed passes on a fake bill after his friend urges him to use it at a shop.  Although why the store clerk took it, I don't know, because they really couldn't have been more obvious about it.  Anyway, the owner of the store passes it on again to Yvon, a young working man.  Yvon is caught and the story follows the consequences of him being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I didn't hate this as I was watching it, but now I feel like I have only negative things to say about this.  First of all, the acting was terribly dull and wooden.  I don't know if it was the director's choice or the actor's choice to have the main character never make an expression, but either way it was a bit hard to watch.  Also Bresson didn't seem to want to use establishing shots so a lot of the time we are forced to watch characters walking to each location.  You could probably watch this film and not notice this, but I am cranky today so I am hyper aware of irritating things.

There were several intensely moralistic lessons that the filmmakers were obviously trying to teach us, but I think the messages were kind of lost on me.  The main character was so unlikable and the ending so ridiculous that I don't think I walked away (or, in my case, hobbled) enriched in any way.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Bresson's last film.

No comments:

Post a Comment