Tuesday, February 23, 2016

772. The Dead

The Dead
1987
Directed by John Huston







I really don't like James Joyce, but I am going to try not to let that color my review too much, as this is a separate entity and should be viewed as such.  I can still feel my hatred surging through me, so I apologize if you like this movie.

In 1904, two sisters host a party in Dublin.  Among their guests is Gretta and Gabriel Conroy,  a seemingly happy couple.  Of course, Joyce is too in love with his own style to give us much more in way of plot.  Sorry, that sounded bitter.

I wasn't too impressed with Full Metal Jacket, Kubrick's last film in the book.   Gee, I am hard to please lately aren't I?  I am getting fussy in my old age.  Anyway, John Huston similarly ends his reign in a rather lackluster fashion.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The film was released after John Huston's death.


No comments:

Post a Comment