Thursday, February 11, 2016

721. The Breakfast Club

The Breakfast Club
1985
Directed by John Hughes












This is one of those films that seems impossible not to like.  I have a particularly positive attachment to it, as it was the first movie I watched with my first boyfriend.  He is still a very important person in my life, and I am glad he didn't end up ruining this film forever for me, as some men are apt to do.

Five students from different cliques are forced to serve a Saturday detention together.  As the film progresses, the characters gradually learn more about each other, form improbable romantic relationships, and dance.  It is iconic and fun from start to finish.

Like I said, what's not to like?  Great dialogue, great soundtrack, great characters...A lot of people will find the film relatable to their high school experience (although I was too much of a nerd to ever  receive a detention).  I love how impressive teen comedies have been lately.  It seems like a genre where filmmakers could really slack off, but this is one of the best dialogue driven movies I have ever seen.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

The scene where the characters describe why they were in detention was ad libbed.

The marijuana that the actors smoked was actually oregano.

All of the Breakfast Club actors appear on Psych (except for Estevez).

No comments:

Post a Comment