Sunday, February 21, 2016

759. Project A, Part II

Project A, Part II
1987
Directed by Jackie Chan










I don't think I have found a Hong Kong action film that I haven't liked, unless you count Peking Opera Blues, although I think that was trying to be something else.  I really need someone to explain that movie to me one of these days.

The Book notes that the plot to a Jackie Chan movie isn't that important.  I agree; all you really have to know is that Chan is the good guy and must defeat everyone who runs at him.  Which he does.  Basically, professional bad ass Dragon Ma is asked to take over the Sai Wan district, as all the police officers there are corrupt.  His attempts to get rid of the gangsters and criminals of the city are largely met with resistance, so it is up to Chan to kick everybody into place.

I look to these films for pure entertainment and mindless fun, although I did sense that there was something deeper here, as it had such a political backdrop.  In the end, though, Jackie Chan decides to ignore the bigger issues and focus on pulling off stunts reminiscent of Buster Keaton.  And really, who could blame him?

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The peppers Jackie Chan eats and rubs in the eyes of his attackers were real, as production did not have time to make fake ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment