Thursday, February 25, 2016

778. Ariel

Ariel
1988
Directed by Aki Kaurismaki








I was surprised by how short this film was (my version was only 69 minutes), but honestly, I don't think I could have taken many more misfortunes so I am glad the running time was so brief.

Taisto Kasurinen inherits some money after his father kills himself in a cafe restroom.  He is mugged fairly soon after that and framed for a crime he did not commit.  At least he meets Irmeli Pihlaja, a single mom.  Although she is so weird herself, it is hard to label that as a win.  Throughout all his trials, Taisto remains unexpressive and looks almost as bored as I was.

Okay, maybe bored isn't the right word, as this movie is so short that it is hard to get too restless.  Still, I had a hard time caring what happened to these characters, as they didn't seem to care themselves.  I did enjoy the ending; I just wish the filmmakers had gotten there quicker than they did, within the frame of the movie.  I would have been happy to watch the film for longer if it meant that I could see the characters actually take the initiative, like they started to do towards the end.

Still, the director had a kind of slow, intriguing style that attracted me, so I might have to visit some of his other work.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Kaurismaki wrote the script over a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment