Saturday, February 6, 2016

708. Scarface

Scarface
1983
Directed by Brian De Palma










This is another film that I thought I would hate, but actually ended up really enjoying.  I even found Al Pacino tolerable!

The movie follows the life of Tony Montana, as he rises from a poor Cuban refugee to a Miami crime lord.  Tony isn't your typical gangster.  I am not saying he has a heart of gold, but he certainly has his moments where he doesn't act like the classic mobster.  And he leaves the film with zero sexual assault charges.  Quite the accomplishment.  The way this List is going, that deserves its own category in the blog's Oscars.

Many moons ago I reviewed the 1932 version of Scarface which is fairly...different.  I am not sure I liked this version more, though it does offer a more interesting main character.  More than that, it is one of the most iconic films of all time and one everyone should watch at some point in their lives.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Oliver Stone wrote the screenplay for this film while fighting a cocaine addiction.

Robert De Niro turned down the lead role.

Body count of 42.

No comments:

Post a Comment