Sunday, January 31, 2016

697. The Big Chill

The Big Chill
1983
Directed by Lawrence Kasdan









This is my sister's all time favorite film.  I think it is partly because of the soundtrack and partly because the characters are alumni of University of Michigan, which is her alma mater.  I personally think her favorite movie is actually Grease, but she denies such claims.  Which is rude, because obviously I would know best.

Seven former college pals are reunited after their friend Alex kills himself.  I don't know why, but I love a story that starts at a funeral (Amsterdam, anyone?).  The reunion manages to rekindle old romances and provide new opportunities for everyone.

That was a pretty shitty summary and one that would probably garner a scolding from my older sister.  But honestly, I am pretty exhausted and really just want what any young woman wants: to eat three more Cadbury fudge bars and go to sleep.  This is a great movie, it is everything that Diner should have been.  I complained about A Christmas Story was too nostalgic and dated.  But this film was nostalgic in the best way.  There is nothing like old friends, especially when Ain't Too Proud To Beg is playing in the background.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The actors had three weeks to get to know each other before filming began.


4 comments:

  1. I remember liking this, must watch it again. William Hurt is always reliably low key in his acting style. There is something about funerals in movies isn't there? Also a fan! What's Amsterdam? Haven't heard of that, had a look on IMDb but nothing appeared to fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry I should have made that reference clearer! It's a book by Ian McEwan. I still can't decide if I like him or think he is too pretentious. I would recommend that book though. It was enjoyable and really short.

      Delete
  2. I loved this movie and absolutely loved the soundtrack. The movie was funny, good acting,with a good story. A fave! :)

    ReplyDelete