Sunday, January 24, 2016

670. Das Boot

Das Boot
The Boat
1981
Directed by Wolfgang Petersen








I am sorry if I am overwhelming anyone with the amount of reviews I am writing.  As I stated in previous posts, I am currently recovering from surgery and cannot really get out of bed owing to a myriad of things, including pain, nausea, and itchiness.  I know, I paint quite a picture of myself.  But don't anyone here fall in love with me.  Anyway, if anyone would prefer I slow down and maybe space out reviews by only posting one or two a day (I could still write as much as I want by saving them as drafts) let me know in the comments!

All right, Das Boot.  This is quite the long film; I think the director's cut is over four hours long.  I (happily) only watched the theatrical release.  I usually complain about ridiculously long films, but I actually quite enjoyed this one.

The story follows a German submarine crew during World War II.  They face the basic wartime horrors you would expect, although it actually seemed quite fresh since we usually don't see it from this kind of perspective.  Wow, how detached do I sound?  It is actually quite disturbing.

I have always thought that the concept of a submarine was rather terrifying.  The film really captures how claustrophobic those soldiers must have felt.  Although I guess outside their submarine was death and destruction.  Anyway, great acting, great tension, great film.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Same submarine models that were used for Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Much of the cast was kept indoors so that they would be as pale as an actual submarine crew.


6 comments:

  1. If you want long you should try the miniseries version. That is an exercise in extended claustrophobia, but it is worth every minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a miniseries version! Should I try to conquer the director's cut first?

      Delete
    2. That would be a matter of preferences. I would not do the miniseries in one go.

      Delete
  2. I think this is a pretty awesome film that had me pretty engrossed .. and I did the directors cut. I've been interested in the mini series version for sometime .. but keep thinking of all the other films I could watch in that available time instead. I'd happily settle for a dvd with the 'added scenes' that I could catch up on without having to do the whole lot again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's great and the ending is like a slap of reality in your face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we all agree on this one!

    ReplyDelete