Friday, January 29, 2016

687. Diner

Diner
1982
Directed by Barry Levinson








I had seen this film a few years ago and the only thing that stood out for me was what a jack ass Steve Guttenberg was.  If someone made me take a quiz on football before they agreed to marry me, there wouldn't be a wedding, there would be an assault charge.

A group of male friends reunite for the wedding.  There is no real plot here; just a series of vignettes about the characters.  Think Big Chill, with less likable characters.

That's exactly the problem with this film.  I didn't like any of the characters, which, in a film like this, is very important.  Why would anyone like these characters?  Maybe you are not supposed to like, you were just supposed to find their antics entertaining.  I was so repulsed I couldn't even manage that.  I do have to give the film props for smart dialogue, but that's as far as I go.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The main characters met up in Baltimore before filming began to build a rapport.  They did this by picking up women and going out to clubs.

3 comments:

  1. Well, you know, I should hate this film, as I strongly disliked all the characters. These are the sort of males that women are referring to when they make offensive sexist comments about MEN! They are the sort of person that make me not want to be associated with the rest of my gender.
    So go on, you have my blessing to make as many MEN! comments for the duration of this film.
    But I ended up enjoying it .. but probably for all the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Men with their sports....that's all I got for now.

      Delete
  2. Well, it's interesting to show how most (straight) relationships works at those ages. Women have to adapt to Men's likes - the football quiz, the ridiculous album sorting - but they are not the least interested on what fancies Women.

    ReplyDelete