Saturday, January 16, 2016

658. Nosferatu: Phantom of the Night

Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht
Nosferatu: Phantom of the Night
1979
Directed by Werner Herzog










If I'm not mistaken, this is the fourth (possibly final?) Dracula film we have seen for the Book.  How does this story always seem so fresh?

I am not going to go through a plot summary because my youth and beauty are fleeting and I have already written this synopsis three times.  I will say that this is a bit more gory than the previous Dracula entries in the Book.

What a beautiful tribute to silent German cinema this was.  This is a gorgeous movie, one that can be admired even if you're not a Murnau fan girl.  Maybe it was the rats, maybe it was the fact that Lucy had a bit more power than in the usual vampire tale.  But I thought this film had more depth and action than any previous Dracula we had to watch.  Definitely a must see.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Klaus Kinski spent four hours a day in make up.


No comments:

Post a Comment