Thursday, January 28, 2016

682. The Poltergeist

The Poltergeist
1982
Directed by Tobe Hooper







I saw the remake of this film in theaters during a second date gone terribly wrong.  I personally don't think you should go to a movie together until at least the fifth date, because why would anyone want to sit in a dark theater with a stranger for a couple hours?  For some reason I thought it would be embarrassing if he saw me jump during the film, so I made sure to focus only on out of focus things.  This is a great way to give yourself a booming migraine and the night concluded with me vomiting.  I wish so many of my stories didn't end that way.  I never did get a third date, which I know must be quite puzzling to my readers.  Anyway, the remake sucked and this kind of sucked too.

The Poltergeist follows the haunting of the Freeling family.  This kind of film has been done a million times now, so you don't need much more of a plot summary then "things get worse."

I think I have mentioned this before, but my siblings and I love binge watching horror films so this is a formula I am very familiar with it.  I suppose I can't fault the movie for having absolutely zero surprises, but it still wasn't the most enjoyable experience.  Some of the "scares" were downright silly.  I will not be afraid of a tree, no matter how much 80s horror directors try to shove that on us.

RATING: **---                                    

Interesting Facts:

Heather O'Rourke and Dominique Dunne are buried in the same cemetery.  O'Rourke died of a heart attack at the age of 12 and Dunne was strangled by her boyfriend.  Awful.

Lou Perryman was murdered with an ax in 2001.  Dear lord.


2 comments:

  1. This movie was really scary when it came out but maybe it can't compare with more recent releases. I love reading your reviews because you are so funny! Thanks for that! I found your Interesting Facts rather chilling--they were good to include with this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah it seems more cursed that the Twilight Zone movie!

      Delete