Tuesday, January 26, 2016

677. Czlowiek z zelaza

Czlowiek z zelaza
Man of Iron
1981
Directed by Andrzej Wajda










I had seen this film before viewing its predecessor, Man of Marble.  Even with the newly discovered context, this was nowhere near as impressive as the previous movie.

The film follows the shipyard workers strike in Gdansk.  The son of Mateusz Birkut, the protagonist of the first movie, is heavily involved in the protests.  A journalist is given the job of slandering him on behalf of the Communist party.   A couple things from the first film are cleared, although I personally enjoyed the ambiguity of that movie and wasn't really searching for edification.

This feels a lot more like a Polish history lesson that the other movie.  I felt like that film at least tried to be entertaining while this time around the filmmakers just wanted to get their message out there and then drop mic out of this.  I suppose I do still appreciate Wajda's technique but he kind of lost me on this one.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Written in only six days.

No comments:

Post a Comment