Saturday, January 16, 2016

653. Apocalypse Now

Apocalypse Now
1979
Directed by Francis Ford Coppola







Good morning! I have a lot of movies to get through today and am actually feeling better.  Lucky for you, that means less graphic details about my recovery.  I really spoil my readers.

This is one of those movies that critics and film buffs seem to gush over, but I find to be dreadfully boring (see 2001: A Space Odyssey).  In fact, I feel like a lot of people who praise this film also think it is quite dull, but ultimately worth it.  I disagree with this; I don't exactly consider a fat Marlon Brando to be a brilliant light at the end of a three hour tunnel.

During the Vietnam War, Benjamin Willard is sent on a mission to execute an insane colonel who is commanding his own troops in Cambodia.  This film is based off on Heart of Darkness, which you could read in about a quarter of time it takes to watch this movie.

I really dislike everything about this, from the self indulgent actors to how everything looks orange.  I have seen the documentary based on the making of this film.  It seems that everybody involved became suicidal.  Maybe that is why they made the movie so boring; so that we could share their misery.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Marlon Brando did not know any of his lines, hadn't read the source material, and was extremely overweight.  He also improvised much of his dialogue.

Coppola said about this film, "My movie is not about Vietnam.  It is Vietnam."

4 comments:

  1. Hated this. Was so bored, fell asleep in the theatre. Marlon Brando was also so fat, it almost woke me up! But it didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha wow, why would you go and see it in the first place?

      Delete
  2. Well .. I read your piece and, at times, thought 'fair point' .. but in the end feel I have to defend the film. Yes, it is rather bloated, but it is made up of so many good moments it works. It's a deeply shocking film - and so it should be. Would it work better if it was trimmed? Well, maybe .. but which bits to remove? I couldn't do it .. except for some at the end. I do feel the shadowy disgustingly fat Brando was a mistake.
    I've only just noticed you ended up giving it just one star .. I'm afraid I have to disagree with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah although I guess we can't fault the filmmakers for the Brando bit as they didn't know he would be so fat or refuse to do the lines. I would cut out a large portion of the middle, as that is where most of my boredom came from.

      Delete