Thursday, January 28, 2016

681. The Thing

The Thing
1982
Directed by John Carpenter









I recall my playwriting professor naming this as an example of a great ending.  I guess to reveal its brilliance would constitute a spoiler alert citation.  But this is truly a must see film and I am not just saying that because I'm a kiss ass.

Basically, a group of Americans working in a research station in Antarctica are being terrorized by an alien who is capable of taking the form of any living creature.   The paranoia between the scientists becomes as destructive as the Thing itself.

We have been hit with quite a few sci fi films recently and this is easily my favorite.  First of all, I adore Kurt Russell and thought he was perfect in this: rugged but not unreasonably so for a scientist.  The tension is this movie is skillfully done.  Just like in Das Boot, we feel just as trapped as the characters.  The story and tone reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft's story At the Mountains of Madness, which I realize is a rather obscure reference.  Still, the similarities are striking.

Definitely something that alien, especially Alien, lovers will enjoy.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Personal favorite film of John Carpenter.

All male cast.  How empowering.  Good for them.

5 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that I had seen this movie until I read your review. Great movie--love Kurt Russell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to be so beep predictable .. but I'd rather have the 1951 version.

    Amanda .. A bit off topic, but important. You know that list on the right side of the page 'Recent Comments', where we can see who has said something in reply? It's really useful to a) see what you make of our comments b) who else is saying something, especially if its someone like TS commenting on an old review. Well, it always used to show the last 10 comments. Lately it's gone to 5 .. which means I think I often miss seeing someones feedback. Is it something you have any control on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You most certainly did, well done. Thank you ..

    ReplyDelete