Thursday, January 21, 2016

665. The Big Red One

The Big Red One
1980
Directed by Samuel Fuller








I have written quite a few reviews today but we are ending on a rather dull note.  The most remarkable feature of this film for me will always be that Mark Hamill is in it, which is the first time I have seen him in something other than Star Wars.  Exciting stuff.

The film follows the movements of the 1st Infantry Division during World War II.  That's about as specific as I can get, as there isn't a linear plot, so to speak.  That's the story I am sticking to anyway.  There probably was a specific story, but I missed it because I was so bored.

If I am going to see a war story, I prefer when the conflict is the backdrop (such as in The Last Metro) than watching the actual fighting.  I also found the ending to be a bit ridiculous, but I don't want to give away spoilers.

Entirely skippable, but there have been really good movies lately, so let's not let this dampen our spirits.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Director Samuel Fuller served in World War II.

Fuller originally submitted a four hour long cut.  It was rejected by the studio, thank god.

2 comments:

  1. No argument here folks, move along.
    A standard war movie, but nothing to warrant a place in The Book .. in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can't really think of anything that makes this movie special.

      Delete