Sunday, January 24, 2016

666. Loulou

Loulou
1980
Directed by Maurice Pialat








For some reason I was convinced this film was called "Lola" and started watching the Fassbinder movie.  I realized that I was watching the wrong movie but, still sure it was called "Lola" had a hard time finding this.  Truly, the enormity of my genius astonishes even me sometimes.

Nelly is married to her a boss, an abusive man that she is getting fed up with.  She meets Loulou and is so intoxicated by his dick that she attempts to abandon her bourgeoisie life to start a life with Loulou's penis...I mean, Loulou.  How many more women will fall for Gerard Depardieu's...um...charms?

This film actually reminded me a lot of Turkish Delight, although that was Dutch and this film is distinctly French.  It felt like Pialat was showing us the France we expected to see rather than anything particularly new, at least for me.  The plot moves along really slowly and I hate to always be complaining about the quality of subtitles but mine were a few minutes off, making the film a chore to follow.

Lola is something that can certainly be skipped.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Pialat is often compared to John Cassavettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment