Saturday, March 30, 2013

323. Gunfight at the OK Corral

Gunfight at the OK Corral
1957
Directed by John Sturges












I must have seen around 15 movies about this gunfight.  I googled movies about Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp and came across over 100 entries.  Really, Hollywood never gets tired of this story.  Unfortunately, I do.

Now, I am not saying that no film can be good if it is about this subject.  I enjoy the movie Tombstone immensely and I even liked Gunfight.  I am just saying the subject is a bit tired, that's all.

Does anyone really not know the story of this film?  A bunch of men feel tougher with their guns and kill each other.  Why?  Because, as 30 Rock tells us, guns are metal penises.

The acting is great; we have both Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. Still, after seeing Val Kilmer nail the role of Doc Holliday so well, I find it hard to see anyone else playing that part. But that is my own prejudice and shouldn't influence your enjoyment of the film.

I am sure a lot of people never get tired of the concept and would enjoy watching this movie. However, if you have seen one film adaptation of this story you have seen them all.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The actual gunfight was over in about thirty seconds; on film, it takes about five minutes.


2 comments:

  1. The fact that I remember very little of this movie may be significant. Personally I do not need to see another movie about that particular gunfight.

    ReplyDelete