Tuesday, March 12, 2013

294. Kiss Me Deadly

Kiss Me Deadly
1955
Directed by Robert Aldrich








EWWWWWWW!!!

I thought I should be honest about my initial reaction to film, which starts out with a rather gruesome torture scene that I hope I forget soon.  This is, of course, after the credits roll backwards.  I knew I was in for a rather strange experience.

Mike Hammer, a tough private eye (is there any other kind?), gives a ride to a mysterious young woman.  All the mystery and intrigue around this movie revolves around a shiny briefcase.  Shiny briefcases are always causing trouble in movies.

This is probably one of the most disturbing film noirs I have seen.  Most are fun, satisfying, and not that thought provoking.  This, on the other hand, seemed like a Darren Aronofsky movie.  It blows my mind that this film was made in 1955.

This movie is like a fun roller coaster that makes you sick but in the end you are still glad you went on it.  But be prepared for some major grossness.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Cloris Leachman's first movie role.

The Kefauver Commission named this as the number one threat to America's youth in 1955.

1 comment:

  1. This is so ultra noir that it is almost a parody. I do not remember the grossness, but the noir feeling was superb.

    ReplyDelete