Thursday, March 28, 2013

320. Kumonosu-jo

Kumonosu-jo
Throne of Blood
1957
Directed by Akira Kurosawa










All right, if you haven't read Macbeth already, get off this blog immediately and go read it.  It is available everyone online, along with easy translations for people who have trouble with Shakespeare.  Go to it.

I am assuming that if you have reached this paragraph, you have followed my instructions so we can move on.  This is considered the best screen adaptation of Shakespeare play and while I don't think I am ready to make such a bold statement, I can definitely see the merit of that claim.

The beauty of Shakespeare is that only our his plays culturally universal, but they are also relevant during any time period. This is the story of Macbeth (which is probably fresh in your mind seeing as how you just read it) set in feudal Japan.

I worship Kurosawa and the ground he walks on.  Not only are all his films beautiful but they are suspenseful and entertaining.  Combine Shakespeare and Kurosawa and you have true art.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Real arrows were used in the famous arrow scene.

Set was built on Mount Fuji.

3 comments:

  1. I never read Macbeth. In fact I never read any play of Shakespeare. He never found his way into the Danish school system and somehow I never got to it outside. The result is that I can only take Shakespeare refences as claimed, I would never find them myself. I did visit Shakespeare's original home in Stafford though...
    Shakespeare aside, this is a great movie, as are all Kurosawa movies. I am about to watch Yojimbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it worth the trip to his home? I didn't go when I was in England. And it's worth it to read his plays. He's hilarious.

      Delete
    2. Visiting a famous person's home is always anti-climactic and this was no different. The town however is absolutely gorgeous and definitely worth the visit, especially in the early summer when the riverbanks are bright green.

      Delete