Tuesday, May 31, 2016

951. Requiem for a Dream

Requiem for a Dream
2000
Directed by Darren Aronofsky









I have awkwardly alluded to the fact that I don't like drug movies, as I have some experience with the destructive nature of people's addictions and I don't like revisiting those memories in film.  So this is a brilliant movie that I did not enjoy in the slightest.

Sara Goldfarb, a television obsessed widow, becomes addicted to the weight loss amphetamine pills her doctor prescribes after she wins a spot on a television game show.  Sara's son, Harry, is a heroin addict. Harry, along with his best friend Tyrone and girlfriend Marion, start a drug dealing business that goes awry.  As everyone's addictions spiral out of control...um, things get worse.  Maybe I could have started with that clause and eliminated the rest of the paragraph.

There is really nothing to complain about here.  The editing and the direction are truly inspired; it makes you feel as though you too are on a drug induced nose dive into oblivion.  While it is impressive to create a film that is so atmospheric, it's obviously not going to be something I...vibe with.

Anyway, I am glad this film was made and I encourage people who are ignorant about drug addiction to see it.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Contains over 2,000 cuts.

The word heroin is never used by the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment