Tuesday, May 17, 2016

927. Buffalo 66

Buffalo 66
1998
Directed by Vincent Gallo








I absolutely hate this man.  He says the most offensive things and you can tell he thinks he is god's gift. He is pretty much the Donald Trump of movie directors, come to think of it.  I will try to get over my hatred of him for this review, but I really think this guy needs a kick to the balls.

Billy is released from prison after five years for a crime he didn't commit.  After a lifetime of disappointing his abusive parents, he decides he has finally had enough of their disapproval.  He kidnaps a girl to bring and show off to his parents, promising he will kill her if she doesn't go along with the story.  It works out though, because the girl is into it.  Uh...okay...Apparently, Gallo is borrowing themes from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  I hope no one is watching this and taking notes.

Usually, I hate films because they bore me.  This one actually held my attention, which I guess says something good about the movie.  Still, Gallo is insufferable.  Even his nod to Ozu was annoying.  I am not a huge fan of Ozu, but even I know that Ozu is in a different league than Gallo.  God, he is pretentious.

So all of the characters are rather repulsive and the themes here are rather...worrying.  Definitely can be skipped.  Oh yeah, and Gallo, you are still the director of Brown Bunny.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Billy Brown's parents' house is the same house where Vincent Gallo grew up.

No comments:

Post a Comment