Tuesday, May 10, 2016

913. The English Patient

The English Patient
1996
Directed by Anthony Minghella







I keep meaning to read this book, as it always seemed like a story that would work better in print.  I didn't dislike this, but I can't say that other people's complaints about it (that it is too long and boring) aren't valid.

Towards the end of World War II, Hana, a French Canadian nurse, takes care of a badly burned man in an Italian monastery.  At first, the dying man cannot even remember his name but slowly, his past is revealed through a series of flashbacks.  We learn that he is a Count who fell in love with the beautiful, but married Katherine Clifton.  As Hana tends to the Count, she has a love story of her own with a British soldier.

Did this really have to be three hours long?  It's strange that even with such a lengthy running time, I still wish there had been more scenes between Kip and Hana.  This is, in part, due to the fact that I have an intense crush on Naveen Andrews.  But more than that, I thought they were a much more interesting couple than Katherine and Almasy.  I mean, really, what was K and A's hook?  That she was married?  Not very compelling.

Still, I think this was a beautiful movie.  The cast was excellent; I will never stop gushing over Juliette Binoche.  Every shot in this film was gorgeous.  Was every shot necessary?  Definitely not.  But I still don't think this was the Academy's oddest pick for Best Picture.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

Ralph Fiennes' make up took five hours to apply.

I feel you, Elaine:

No comments:

Post a Comment