Thursday, May 5, 2016

904. Trois vies & une seule mort

Trois vies & une seule mort
Three Lives and One Death
1996
Directed by Raul Ruiz








I got news yesterday that I have to get yet another surgery next month.  I was trying to use this film as a distraction from both my current pain and my upcoming operation, but it really sucked as a diversion.  Actually, it kind of sucked in general.

Okay, that was a bit harsh perhaps.  The premise of this film is actually pretty interesting.  Basically, three separate stories are told, with Marcello Mastroianni playing a different role in each plot.  Toward the end, we realize that the stories are, in fact, connected.  The third story is by far the most obnoxious.   A young couple is nauseatingly in love; they made the couple at the beginning of A Tale of Winter look distant.  The man has this repulsive habit of snorting whenever he kissed the woman (and they kiss a lot).  I am getting annoyed just thinking about it.

This is a very confusing film and I am not sure I understood everything I was meant to understand.  Still, there was a certain mystique to his technique that was reminiscent of Bunuel.  I know I am not the first person to make that comparison, but parts of the film, particularly the performances, reminded me of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.  You know, if you don't count all the snorting.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Penultimate film of Marcello Mastroianni.

No comments:

Post a Comment