Wednesday, May 4, 2016

902. Dead Man

Dead Man
1995
Directed by Jim Jarmusch









Okay, now I can get excited.  Less than 100 movies to write about!  Once again, I would rather talk about my progress than write about this film.  I really want to like Jarmusch but he is certainly making it difficult.

A reserved accountant named William Blake travels from Cleveland to a frontier town to work as a bookkeeper.  When he arrives, he realizes that the position has been filled (Johnny Depp probably isn't used to rejection).  He gets involved in a shootout and a Native American named Nobody tells him that the bullet is too close to his heart to remove; he is a dead man walking.  The pair decide to travel to the Pacific Ocean so that Blake can join the spirit world.

I guess I should give Jarmusch credit for trying, but I still think his attempt to comment on race relations was a bit misguided.  It came across as condescending and the assumption that every racist person is a homicidal maniac is incorrect.

Anyway, I think we are done with the Jarmusch films.  Unfortunately, he didn't leave too favorable an impression.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Mili Avital's character is lifted from the William Blake poem, "The Book of Thel."

No comments:

Post a Comment