Tuesday, May 24, 2016

941. Beau Travail

Beau Travail
1999
Directed by Claire Denis









I can't believe I am almost done with the nineties.  It seems like only yesterday that I started this decade.  Maybe it was just yesterday...I am moving rather quickly.  At least, I am moving rather quickly when I am not taking several types of pain medication,

Basically, master sergeant Galoup reminisces about his time as a soldier in the French Foreign Legion in Djibouti.  While there, he develops feelings for another solider, Gilles Sentain.  Unable to accept his homosexual urgings, he regularly picks fights with Gilles and generally makes his life a living hell.

Sorry if that synopsis was a bit vague, but I had a hard time following this one.  It just did not capture my attention, but, to be fair, I am a tough audience right now.  Their military training exercises resembled dance rehearsals for West Side Story.  It almost reminded me of Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia, as it had the same sort of fascination with the male form.  Personally, I was able to um...appreciate the male body more in Fight Club.  Still, I appreciate what she was trying to do.

So a thumbs down for me, as I just found it dull.  I don't have any major grievances, however, so might still be worth checking out.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Dance scene was shot in a single take.

No comments:

Post a Comment