Friday, May 13, 2016

922. Funny Games

Funny Games
1997
Directed by Michael Haneke








I get the impression that you pass the test Haneke has created by turning off the film or walking out of the theater.  Unfortunately, I couldn't do that as I want to complete the List.  I still hated it; does that count for anything?

A wealthy Austrian family (Georg, his wife Anna, their son Georgie and their dog Rolfi) vacation on a house on the lake.  I suppose we were supposed to cheer for this family's demise because they have so much money and apparently this is the French Revolution.  Anyway,  two men from Vienna torture and terrorize them, often breaking the fourth wall.

So yes, I hated this as I hate all home invasion films.  I suppose Haneke was attempting to hold up a mirror to fans of the genre.  I didn't need a reminder that the film was sick and will happily forget about this as soon as possible.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Michael Haneke has said that if the film is a success it means the audience didn't understand it.  Way to cover your ass, Haneke.

No comments:

Post a Comment