Friday, May 20, 2016

934. The Thin Red Line

The Thin Red Line
1998
Directed by Terrence Malick






I appreciated that Saving Private Ryan did a few original things, even if at times it slipped back into tired cliches.  The Thin Red Line doesn't seem to have a single unique moment.  But hey, at least the cast is brilliant.

During World War II, the men of the C Company are tasked with capturing a Japanese stronghold, Hill 210, at all costs.  This is an ensemble piece, but I suppose our main character is Private Witt, a solider who went AWOL but was recently found and imprisoned.

I know this is based on an autobiography, so I don't want to be insensitive by calling it unoriginal.  I just found all the characters to have familiar arcs and the themes to be rather uninspired.  It also didn't help that this film is almost three hours long.

I am being kind of a hypocrite here.  Romantic comedies and slasher movies are just as uninventive, and I can watch those any day of the week.  I suppose I am just not a fan of this genre so I wish there was more variation in the motifs.  In any case, this is probably quite enjoyable if war movies are your thing.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

The producers and Malick fell out during preproduction.  Consequently, the producers were not allowed on set during filming.

Adrien Brody was shocked at the premiere to discover his character had barely any screen time, as he had believed he was the lead.


No comments:

Post a Comment