Tuesday, May 31, 2016

950. Yi Yi

Yi Yi
A One and a Two
2000
Directed by Edward Yang








Edward Yang's first movie in the Book, A Brighter Summer Day, was a test of endurance.  This film, which is probably about an hour shorter, was another exercise in dullness.  I have really not had luck with foreign films lately.

This movie is way too long to write a detailed synopsis of without payment.  Basically, the film follows the actions of several members of the Jian family.  Is that too vague?  The only story line I found remotely interesting was the teenaged daughter's, but as that contains quite a few surprises I won't spoil it for you.

I really have nothing of interest to say about this one.  It was another overly long family drama that lulled me to sleep.  That is, at least, a blessing as I have been hitting the Tylenol PM rather hard lately.  I suppose it looked beautiful, but I need a story that is slightly interesting too.  If I was a man this would be called emotional maturity.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Yang's final film.

No comments:

Post a Comment