Monday, May 2, 2016

899. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
The Brave Hearted Will Take the Bride
1995
Directed by Aditya Chopra






This is one of my favorite musicals, which unfortunately, dooms frequent commentator Ray into hating this one.  Sorry Ray.

Simran Singh's father plans on marrying her to his friend's son.   Simran is upset as she dreams of having a great love and doesn't want to marry someone she has never met.  How unreasonable of her.  Simran's father allows her to take a trip across Europe with her friends before her marriage.  While on the trip, she meets Raj, a goofball who is impossible not to love.

I can't believe this film is over three hours long.  Honestly, the time just flies by.  I also can't believe I don't mind the running time, as I have complained about running times since I started this project.  The chemistry between the two leads is amazing.  I also love that they look like real people.  They are good looking, but they don't look like two cyborgs designed to make us feel bad about ourselves like most Hollywood stars do.

The songs are also catchy as hell.  I didn't think it was possible to get a song stuck in your head when you don't speak the language, but there you go.  I can tell I am gushing, so I will end here by saying this is a great film to check out if you are interested in Bollywood.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

Longest running release in Indian film history.

Aditya Chopra initially wanted Tom Cruise for the role of Raj.

My favorite song:

No comments:

Post a Comment