Tuesday, May 3, 2016

900. Xich Lo

Xich Lo
Cyclo
1995
Directed by Tran Ahn Hung








900 everyone!  I probably shouldn't get excited until the 902 mark, when I have less than 100 reviews left to write.  But really, I would rather talk about my progress than this film, as this is one of the worst movies I have seen recently.

After the death of his father, a young man is forced to take over his job as a cyclo driver.  The rest of his family is forced to work as well, with the older sister turning to prostitution.  When the man's cyclo is stolen by a gang, he joins a criminal organization to make ends meet.  I have no idea if the main character had a name.  On the IMDb page, the character's name is Cyclo.  That can't be right...

The Wikipedia page notes that the film is considered hard to understand.  It definitely is, although I am surprised the page was so honest about it.  The movie was extremely pretentious.  The filmmakers seemed more intent on being artsy than actually telling a coherent story.  And why was everything so blue toned?  And why did everyone have to die so slowly?

But still, 900!

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Features a song by Radiohead.  Give me a break, there isn't any good trivia for this one.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on 900! I admire the fact that you have consistently given great reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete