Tuesday, May 10, 2016

915. Mononoke hime

Mononoke hime
Princess Mononoke
1997
Directed by Hayao Miyazaki








I am not sure how nerdy my readers are, but I kind of excel in that department.  This film actually played out like a lot of video games I have enjoyed.  While I can understand why this wouldn't appeal to everyone, it certainly appealed to me.

In the Muromachi period of Japan, Ashitaka defeats a demon before it destroys his village.  However, the demon cursed him, giving him superhuman powers that will eventually kill him.  Ashitaka searches for a cure but finds himself in the middle of a war between the forest gods and a mining town.

This really does sound like a Legend of Zelda game, so much so that I am kind of starting to think Ocarina of Time is a rip off.  Perish the thought.  Anyway, it probably would have worked better as a video game, but it was still visually stunning.  After Akira, I was a bit wary of anime and this was a pleasant surprise.

Still, I understand if the fantastical plot would turn some people off.  As I own my own Link figurine (with detachable parts!), I enjoyed it.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

In Japanese mythology, wolves and dogs always have male voices, while cats always have female voices.  For this reason, a man does the voice of the mother wolf.

550 colors were used in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment