Wednesday, May 18, 2016

929. Lola rennt

Lola rennt
Run Lola Run
1998
Directed by Tom Tykwer








This is one of those movies that I had a really good time with, but I am not entirely sure it deserves a place on this List.  Still, I rate films on this blog by their enjoyability factor so I am going with four stars.

Lola gets a call from her boyfriend Manni.  He accidentally left a bag containing 100,000 deutsche marks on the subway and a homeless man made off with it.  Manni frantically explains that if he doesn't deliver the money by noon to a gangster, he will probably be killed.  He plans to rob a bank.  Lola has twenty minutes to find the money some other way and prevent a potential Dog Day Afternoon scenario.  The story of Lola's twenty minute run is told three times, each with small variations that ultimately lead to drastically different outcomes.

Like I said, this is a fun and engaging movie, although something is preventing me from calling it a favorite film.  I didn't really like the cartoon sequence, but I imagine that was done for budgetary reasons.  I guess we just didn't know the characters very well, so nothing struck me as particularly emotional.

In the end, it was an original idea and a fun ride.  Maybe I am just being too picky.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

During filming, Franka Potente couldn't wash her hair for seven weeks as the color would have gotten lighter with each washing.

The inspiration behind Majora's Mask.  Hey, it's interesting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment