Sunday, May 22, 2016

937. Fight Club

Fight Club
1999
Directed by David Fincher









I believe I mentioned this in a previous review, but based on my field research (going out with men and demanding to know their favorite movie then judging them accordingly), this is the favorite movie of a lot, followed closely by Pulp Fiction.  While I certainly wouldn't call this a favorite, I can appreciate it (see the above shirtless picture of Brad Pitt).

Our unnamed protagonist is a lonely office worker who regularly attends support group meetings, I suppose so his suffering is given some sort of credence.  He meets another impostor, Marla Singer, and the two negotiate so they won't attend the same meetings.  On a flight home from a business trip, he meets Tyler Durden and is immediately intrigued by Tyler's philosophies and mansplaining ways.  The two start a fight club, but their idea quickly evolves (or devolves) into something more.

So, like I said, I wouldn't consider this a masterpiece but it is quite enjoyable. The movie seemed to be fueled by testosterone but I still managed to enjoy the ride. The characters are, obviously, fantastic and the gritty cinematography is dazzling. I did think it could do with some trimming, but all in all, a fun movie.  And my enjoyment of it usually helps me with the fellas.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The author of Fight Club has said this was an improvement on his novel.

Helena Bonham Carter had all her make up applied by the make up artist's left hand, as she believed her character wouldn't be particularly skilled at applying make up.

Sarah Michelle Gellar was approached for the part of Marla, but was already committed to Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  That would have been epic.


No comments:

Post a Comment