Sunday, May 8, 2016

909. Gabbeh

Gabbeh
1996
Directed by Mohsen Makhmalbaf







I have quite a lot of writing due soon, but, of course, I am procrastinating on this blog, as this is easily the most fun project to work on.  So let's talk about Gabbeh, while my writing career explodes in slow motion behind me.

A girl magically appears out of a gabbeh, which is a type of Persian rug.  We learn that she desperately wants to get married, but her father refuses to let her wed until her uncle finds a bride.  This plot only makes sense if you use oppressive man logic.

There is not much to this one, or, at least, there wasn't for me.  I will say it was a beautiful film, although I guess if the only nice thing I can say about it is "I liked the colors," there is not much substance there.  It was like a fairy tale, but it just didn't feel that magical.

Might be worth checking out just for a visual treat and hey, at least it's short.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Iran's submission for the 70th Oscars.

No comments:

Post a Comment