Tuesday, May 10, 2016

914. Cheun gwong tsa sit

Cheun gwong tsa sit
Happy Together
1997
Directed by Wong Kar-wai







I wasn't that enthusiastic about watching another Kar-wai film from the List.  I thought Chungking Express was entertaining, but ultimately not super impressive.  Happy Together, once again, was decent but didn't blow me away.  I hope I either hate or love his next movie so I can finally form a definitive opinion on him.

Basically, the film depicts the turbulent romance between Ho Po-wing and Lai Yiu-fai after they travel to Argentina to mend their relationship.  While Ho Po is pretty much a cheating asshole, Lai is more rational and loving.

This was a bit tough to watch, in a Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? type of way.  I was still intrigued, but I would hardly call this enjoyable to watch.  Thankfully, the cinematography is stunning enough that it is still worth a watch despite the unlikable characters.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

The two main characters are named after the film's assistant cinematographers.

No comments:

Post a Comment