Thursday, May 5, 2016

905. Shine

Shine
1996
Directed by Scott Hicks









I never feel stupider than when I watch other people enjoy classical music.  As I have never heard of David Helfgott I didn't expect to take to this one.   Unfortunately, I was right.

David is a child prodigy whose overbearing, abusive father taught him how to play the piano.  After his father forces him to turn down an opportunity to study in America, David is finally able to break away from his oppressive father.  David moves to England to study at the Royal College of Music, but the pressures of his talent cause him to break down while playing Rachmaninoff's 3rd Concerto.  It also makes him turn into Geoffrey Rush, which is a condition that deserves more awareness.

It was really hard to cheer for this guy to start playing the piano again, as he really seemed to hate it.  I was hoping he would find a hobby that didn't make him so miserable.  I suppose Geoffrey Rush's performance deserves a shout out, although personally I enjoyed Noah Taylor's David more.  I think it is harder to portray someone who is on the edge, rather than someone who is already gone.

Anyway, the subject matter wasn't entirely interesting to me, but it was still a well paced and well acted movie.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Geoffrey Rush acted as his own hand and body double.

No comments:

Post a Comment