Monday, May 2, 2016

898. Podzemlje

Podzemlje
Underground
1995
Directed by Emir Kusturica







I can't remember what movie I was talking about when I posed this question, but I remember asking in another post, "can you like a movie if you find every character in it repulsive?"  I was horrified by the way people were behaving in this film and even more horrified that we were supposed to find these scenes comedic.  I think this one was in the Book because of its subject matter and not because it's an enjoyable film.

I really don't feel like writing a plot summary for this one.  For one thing, it is around three hours.  For another, there is a lot of historical information and I don't feel like writing an essay if no one is going to grade me and tell me how amazing I am (which is usually how it goes).  Basically, the story spans World War II, The Cold War, and the Yugoslav Wars and follows two best friends, both of whom are terrible people who treat women like objects.

So like I said, it is certainly an important subject matter but it was an absolute chore to sit through.  I don't think I was supposed to hate Blacky and Marko as much as I did but I was hoping they would be casualties. I did think some of the concepts presented in the film had potential, but ultimately, the entire experience was dull and grating.

RATING: *----

Interesting Facts:

Shooting of the film lasted for two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment