Saturday, January 30, 2021

1191. The Draughtsman's Contract

The Draughtsman's Contract
1982
Directed by Peter Greenaway











Ugh, how many more of these Peter Greenaway are going to creep up on this List? By now I've become quite accustomed to the formula. For the most part, this sticks to the formula, with the added bonus of wigs.

Mr. Neville is an arrogant young artist with all the charms of a Samuel Richardson villain. He is contracted by Virginia Herbert to produce a series of landscape drawings of her country house while her husband is away. Part of the contract involves performing sexual favors for Mr. Neville. Those scenes feel very rape-y, but I guess she agreed to it? Anyway, Mr. Neville rubs some of the inhabitants of the house the wrong way, while others are intrigued by his wiggy ways.

I still don't know what to make of his Greenaway. His characters never seem real to me. Of course, certain parts of the films distracted me from what was going on, since the visuals are so ridiculous. And I really don't know what accent they were going for either.

If you were to insist on watching a Peter Greenaway film, first I would get you a cold glass of water and some time to calm down. Then I would probably recommend The Pillow Book over this. But it beats The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover.

RATING: **---

Interesting Facts:

Greenaway created the drawings seen in the movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment