Monday, January 25, 2021

1189. Far From Heaven

Far From Heaven
2002
Directed by Todd Haynes









I am still on a significant amount of post surgery drugs, which my doctor says will make me feel I've had a few beers. Maybe that is not the best time to tackle melodramas, as they seem extra...bizarre.

In 1957, Cathy is a homemaker married to Frank Whitaker, a successful executive, and they seemingly have the perfect family. Of course, things are not quite as harmonious as they appear. Cathy discovers that Frank is secretly gay, and they decide to try conversion therapy (all the eye rolls in the land). At the same time, Cathy's Black gardener, Raymond, catches her eye.

All I could think about when I was watching this was the film All That Heavens Allows, another List movie that is clearly being paid homage to by this movie. That's fine, I guess, but the melodrama style is not something I really connect with. I'll admit though, it was very well done here, from the camera angles to the lighting.

Of course, the 50s were terrible in a lot of ways, and I like the idea of de-romanticizing that era. I also really liked the actors involved. But it's just a little silly, and I can't tell if that's intentional or not.

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Julianne Moore's pregnancy was hidden throughout filming.

The role of Frank Whitaker was written for James Gandolfini, but he was too busy filming the Sopranos.

No comments:

Post a Comment