Thursday, January 21, 2021

1185. Come and See

Come and See
1985
Directed by Elem Klimov












Just when I think we are finished with the wartime atrocity films, another one crops up. I keep going back on forth on whether it's important to watch these movies, or if you should just protect your mental health and abstain from experiencing such disturbing images. If you have any thoughts about the issue, let me know in the comments!

In 1943, Flyora and his friend dig in trenches, looking for abandoned rifles. They plan to join the Soviet partisan forces to fight the Germans. The following day, Flyora is drafted by the Soviets and he becomes a low ranking militiaman. One day, Flyora is ordered to remain behind at camp while the rest of the troops move out. As he weeps, he meets a girl in a forest who is working as a nurse. Their camp is attacked, and bad things continue to happen.

I suppose this film is effective in what it set out to do, which is to shock its audience and disturb the living daylights out of us. It's truthful to what war is, so naturally I wished I hadn't watched it. I wouldn't recommend it to anybody I care about.

Not going to lie, I closed my eyes for some parts. Hey, after this last year, I do what I have to. 

RATING: ***--

Interesting Facts:

Live ammunition was used in the film.

Filmed in chronological order.

Final film of Elem Klimov. Apparently, he was so stressed about the movie's subject matter that his hair turned grey during filming.

2 comments: