Friday, January 8, 2021

1172. Moolaade

Moolaade
2004
Directed by Ousmane Sembène








So we continue our recent salute to the most depressing topics on Earth with "Moolaade." What can I say, these are the movies I can find online for free.

Moolaade is set in a village in Burkina Faso. One of the village women, Colie, is married to a man with two other wives. Her daughter, Amasatou, is expected to undergo female circumcision to prepare for marriage. Colie opposes this barbaric practice and the villagers lose their minds. 

Obviously, this wasn't an easy watch. It's absolutely insane how much control the male characters try to exert over their many wives. It's interesting watching this right after Osama. Both films feature men trying desperately to dominate the other sex, by any means necessary. It makes me feel very helpless, but I guess some hope can be gleaned from this movie.

I might try to find a lighter watch for next time, although I think we are past that stage on the List.

RATING: *****

Interesting Facts:

"Moolaade" means "magical protection."

No comments:

Post a Comment