Sunday, January 17, 2021

1181. In the Loop

In the Loop
2009
Directed by Armando Iannucci








I thought I'd seen this before, probably to satisfy a British craving, but I wasn't certain. I put it on and realized I had seen it, but it was definitely worthy of a rewatch.

Simon Foster, the Minister for International Development, makes the fairly sizable snafu of saying that "war is unforeseeable" on a BBC Radio program. This causes ripples through the American and British operatives' offices, all of whom are attempting to prevent international disasters.

This is the kind of British humor I love: dark, cutting, and sarcastic. The kind of British humor I don't like is whatever the hell they were trying to do in Local Hero. The rapid fire dialogue was very entertaining, even as they were dealing with a serious situation. It was like a less ballsy version of Four Lions.

I really like the actors in this film as well, which includes James Gandolfini and Tom Hollander. A really welcome addition in the midst of a lot of dreck from the List.

RATING: ****-

Interesting Facts:

The first cut of the movie was 4.5 hours long.

The word "fuck" is uttered 135 times.

1 comment:

  1. You know this is the movie version of the magnificent TV series The Thick of It?

    I recall the poster had Malcolm Tucker mocked up in the style of Barack Obama's "Yes we can" slogan, instead replaced with "No you fucking can't"

    ReplyDelete